Working in Japan supporting people with disabilities.

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Accessible Japan 4 months ago.

  • Author
  • #5437
    Neil inNZ

    Hello from New Zealand. I’m glad that I found your website.

    I am interested in moving to Japan with my daughter. We are both able bodied (though I should let everyone know that).

    I am wondering what the possibility is regarding moving to Japan and working as an ability assistant for a person with cerebral palsy may be. I have extensive experience here in New Zealand and have worked both with children and adults with severe disabilities. Primarily I have worked in state funded schools and although that would be my preference in Japan, I also have a wealth of knowledge and experience in homecare settings as well.

    Any information would be appreciated.


    1 user thanked author for this post.
  • #5440
    Accessible Japan

    Hi Neil,

    Thank you for your post.  Working in a school would not be a possibility easily as you would likely need to pass certification in Japanese (though, if you are fluent it could be done).

    Working as a home care assistant would likely be much easier, but again Japanese will be needed for communicating with clients/families.

    So, definitely possible.  However, the biggest hurdle will likely be getting a visa to work in Japan in the first place.  You need a company to sponsor your working visa to be able to come work here in the first place – which can be a bit hard without your foot in the door to begin with… once in the country though it is easier to change jobs etc.  So you could come to teach English, etc and then change.

    Come to think of it, I think the JET program places teachers in schools for children with disabilities.  Since most of the teachers don’t like it, you may be able to get in easier by saying you want to work there… 

    Hope this helps!

You must be logged in to reply.