Wheelchair users in Tokyo

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Isabel 5 hours, 41 minutes ago.

• Author
    Isabel
    Participant

Hey everybody, hello Josh!

I am currently doing research on wheelchair users in Tokyo/Japan for my master’s thesis and found this website via a YouTube video. For my project, I am looking for potential interview partners, regardless of nationality, who have spent some time in Japan, ideally Tokyo. Since I will be in Tokyo until the end of the year for an internship and am still at the very beginning of my research, I would love to talk to as many people as possible in either English or Japanese.

This is my first time doing any kind of practical fieldwork as well, so I would love to hear from anyone who is interested in helping me out in any way (and from Josh as well; if you don’t mind, feel free to send me an e-mail!).

Have a great weekend!

Isabel

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Sounds good.  Will do :)

Please feel free to add any accessibility information you find to the forums here as well!

philono
    Participant

Hello Isabel,

I’m planning to be a Tokyo 2020 Games volunteer and I want to learn more about wheelchair users in Tokyo. Their point of view, the problems they face, and how Games volunteers should interact and help them. I’m able-bodied.

So on Nov. 27, 2019 at 6:30 pm in Tokyo (near Oimachi Station on the Keihin Tohoku Line and other lines), I’m holding a talk session with one or two Japanese wheelchair users who will also be Games volunteers. The session will be in Japanese, but you’re welcome to join us and interview them after the talk session. I can interpret for you if necessary.

Anyone else interested are welcome to join us. The cost will be a few hundred yen to help pay for the room. I may post a separate notice on this forum soon.

Phil (Tokyo, Japan)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sathishhtc
    Participant

Hi Isabel, I am Sathish from India. I am a wheelchair user. If you need any information, you can reach me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Sathish Kumar

sathishhtc
    Participant

Hi Phil, I am Sathish from India. I am a wheelchair user. Will I get an opportunity to volunteer Tokyo 2020 games?

Thanks,

Sathish Kumar

philono
    Participant

Hi sathishhtc, Tokyo 2020 volunteers have already been decided. So we are now meeting up and trying to learn things. If you are in Tokyo, you are welcome to join our meeting.

bookman
    Participant

Hello Isabel (and everyone else!),

I’ve introduced myself on here before, but just in case my introduction my name is Mark Bookman. I wear many hats: I’m a PhD Candidate at the University of Pennsylvania; a Visiting Researcher at the University of Tokyo; a Consultant on Accessibility for various firms (including this website); and more. I’m also finishing up a book project that explores the history of disability movements and policy in Japan from 1868 until the present.

I’d be happy to meet with you if you’re interested in hearing a bit about my experiences. I’ve been back and forth between Japan and the United States four times over the last eleven years, so there’s lots to share!

You can find out more about me and my work on my website: bookmanresearch.com.

Feel free to reach out anytime!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Isabel
    Participant

Hello everybody!
    Phil, thanks a lot for this offer! This sounds like an amazing opportunity and I will gladly attend. I do speak some Japanese, but help is always appreciated, especially since these will probably be my first interviews in Japanese. I am looking forward to more information!Sathish, thank you very much, I will write you an email!
    Mark, to be honest, you were one of the people I planned to reach out to, so I am very glad and thankful for your reply! I have seen your TEDx-Talk on YouTube in which you presented some very interesting ideas, so I will definitely send you an email.Thank you very much, everyone, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

You must be logged in to reply.