Wheelchair charger

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar kd88 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author
    kd88
    Participant

I’ll be travelling through Japan (Tokyo – Osaka – Kyoto – Takamatsu – Hiroshima – Fukuoka – Kagoshima – Tokyo) with a power wheelchair and I’m wondering if anyone can clear up the frequencies in the locations I’m travelling.

My charger works with 100-120v and has no ground prong on the plug, so if I’m understanding correctly, there are no issues with those parts. However, it requires 60hz frequency. Will I need a different charger or possibly a transformer for my time in Tokyo? Is electricity in the other locations running at 60hz?

I’ve tried contacting my local vendor, as well as the manufacturer to see if they have an international version of the charger or if there’s one with a 50/60hz switch but no luck.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hi there,

I have used my charger in both Osaka and Tokyo with no issues.  Can you send a picture of the power information on your batter charger?

kd88
    Participant

Here are both of the side panels with instructions/power info. Only one of the labels mentions 60hz and the rest focuses on voltage and amps so maybe it’s okay?

I found info that says devices that convert from AC to DC are frequency sensitive and the charger does that, so I’m mostly concerned that it might not fully charge overnight at 50hz rather than 60hz.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-07 at 9.34.18 PMWhatsApp Image 2019-05-07 at 9.34.47 PM

Uxberger
    Participant

Hi kd88:

I agree with AJ above, if you can send a picture of the label on the charger and a picture of the plug it would be most helpful;

50/60 Hz: generally the slight difference in frequency should make very little difference. A-If it is a transformer charger it may run a bit hotter and take a little longer to get to a full charge. B- If it is a modern electronic charger you should see no difference.

You are right about the two prong plug. It should fit. If it is a polarized plug, that is one prong is larger than the other, you could possibly have difficulty getting the plug into a socket. It can usually be forced in, or a few seconds with a file will reduce the large prong to the same size as the smaller..

I hope this is helpful.  

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Uxberger
    Participant

Hi Kd88:

You must have been sending the pictures as I typed. 

You should be fine with that charger. Also it looks like your plug is not polarized so that is also good.

Enjoy your trip!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    kd88
    Participant

Thanks guys, that’s super reassuring! I’ll bring along a wall plug adapter just in case a prong is too wide.

You must be logged in to reply.