Home Page Forums Travel and Transportation Trains, Buses and taxis Tag for those with invisible illnesses?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello! I’ve noticed on YouTube that some residents of Japan have a red tag for their purse or backpack that shows others they have an invisible illness, so they can get a seat on a train or bus. It’s a red tag with the medical white plus sign and is maybe able the size of a credit card.
    Does anyone know how to go about getting one, either once you’re in Japan or online ahead of time (which would be even better)?

Arigato gozaimasu!

Keymaster

Hello

They are called “Help Mark” (ヘルプマーク, herupu-maaku) and the easiest place to get them is at the office of a Toei subway station (note that Toei subway lines are the government transportation lines and are different than Tokyo Metro which is a private company).  However, they are not available at the following stations: Oshiage, Meguro, Shiraganedai, Shiragane Takanawa, or Shinjuku.  But any other station should be fine.

Here is the Toei website: https://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/eng/

From what I understand they are fairly easy to get, but you might want to print a picture of the tag to show the staff so that things go smoothly.

I have no personal experience with this, so, after your trip it would be great if you could tell everyone how it went!

220px-Help_Mark

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Thank you so much!

Keymaster

That’s why we’re here!

Participant

PS – Are they only available to Tokyo residents?

Keymaster

As in, can you only get them in Tokyo?  Or, can visitors get them?

Participant

Yes, can tourists get one?

Keymaster

I believe so.  As far as I know, they are not official government-issued items and are just given to those who ask.  But we have reached out on our social media to see if anyone can share real life experiences.

Keymaster

On the Osaka City website it states they give them out at city offices to those who need them regardless of the reason.  So, should be ok…

I’m not sure if you speak Japanese, but if not, it might help if you print a copy of the image with a translation of something like “I would like a Help Mark because I have ___” (You don’t need to say the reason necessarily, but it could help speed up the process.)

Participant

Domo arigato!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.