"severely handicapped pass" Schwerbehindertenausweis in germany

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • #6036

      My wife and I will travel to Japan in 2020 for three to fours weeks, one of our destinations will be Tokyo and the Olympic Games. Both, my wife and I have a “severely handicapped pass” (Schwerbehindertenausweis in Germany), and have slight walking impairments. Because we would like to take several tours and will walk quite a bit while visiting the Olympic games we would like to inquire if any benefits can be received (such as fee reductions) in our cases. Is there an equivalent to the German “severely handicapped pass” in Japan? Would I need to apply for it? Which benefits come with such a pass in Japan? Thank you very much in advance.

      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #6037
      Accessible Japan


      There is an equivalent in Japan called a shogaisha techo.  Holders can receive discounts etc.  However, it is only for residents of Japan so it isn’t something you can apply for here.

      Unfortunately, acceptance of foreign equivalents is spotty.  Some places will give you a discount, some will require a translation of the document, others will not accept it because it is not the Japanese document.  It really depends on the location’s policy and staff training.

      So, I suggest you get your pass translated and then try to use it.  You may get discounts, you may not, but having a translation will at least help.

      You can read more here: https://www.accessible-japan.com/japan-disability-discounts/

      Note that transportation discounts are only for holders of the Japanese documentation.

      1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply.