Rugby world cup

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Brendank
      Participant

hi all. Traveling to Yokohama for world cup in November. I usually use a small mobility scooter but I’ve been told that scooters are not very popular in Japan. Can anyone please advise me

Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

Hello,

Here is the “official” information on mobility scooters in Japan:
      https://www.accessible-japan.com/mobility-scooters-japan/

However, it seems that everyone has different experiences depending on the train line, station, and even staff.  Sometimes it is not an issue, sometimes it is (being told you cannot use the train, made to transfer to a wheelchair etc.)

So, while you can get around most of the time, you may face some times where you cannot use it…

Sorry to not be of much help

Brendank
      Participant

Thanks for your reply . I’ve been told that a motorized wheelchair is more acceptable than a mobility scooter. Can you confirm if this is so. Also, as my time in Japan will be limited(arrive @ 20.00 on 31 Oct, leave 08.30 on Nov 06) I will only be visiting the area around Yokohama so, can I avoid the rail companies that don’t accept scooters altogether. Finally: what about travel by local busses? Do they accept scooters?

Many thanks for your time 

Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

I use a power wheelchair and have no issues.

Not likely as JR is the biggest offender in terms of scooters and you will need them to at least get to Yokohama, and then they have a few lines there as well.

This is in Japanese, and you likely have a different scooter than pictured, but according to this news outlet’s report, only 5 of Japan’s 21 large bus companies would allow a scooter…

https://www.ktv.jp/runner/backnumber/20180109-2.html

I think Japan is getting better at accepting scooters, but is a far way from being fully OK.  I guess your options are:

• help bring about the change, but possibly have a lousy time
      • bite the bullet and come in a power wheelchair

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Brendank
      Participant

Thanks a million. I have an opportunity to buy a powered wheelchair at a reasonable price so I’ll definitely go for that option.

Is it possible to rent or hire a power wheelchair on arrival and what would be the approximate cost for 5 days?

Thanks.

Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

Hi,

we can hook you up with a company or two that can rent a power wheelchair to you. They can tell you their prices. 

Send us an email via:

https://www.accessible-japan.com/renting-wheelchairs-hoists-japan/

Brendank
      Participant

This is the type of scooter I use. As you can see, it is only a fraction of the size of the one in your reply.

Thanks

Brendank
      Participant

71H9lU8cTxL._SX342_

Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

I assumed as much. 

Are you going through a travel agent? If so, they may be able to help you get a certification sticker. (Saying it is a certain size and has a certain turning radius.)

Brendank
      Participant

Good. I’ll find out but in any case I can print out the specifications and submit them. Who do I need to submit them to? 

Thank you for all the time and trouble you are taking; I really do greatly appreciate it.

Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

I think JR…

there is a link on the scooter page, I suggest emailing them as the first step. 

Brendank
      Participant

Thanks for all your help. I’ll contact you again.

Brendank
      Participant

This is the type of motorized wheelchair I’ll be taking. Hopefully there will be no problem. I’ll send the specification in a separate mail.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303172368176

Brendank
      Participant

If the eBay link doesn’t open perhaps this one might. I’d appreciate your advice.

http://www.eclipsemedical.com/SHOPRIDER/power-chairs/shoprider-P424M.html

Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

That wheelchair should be fine for trains/buses in Japan :)

Brendank
      Participant

Hi

Thanks for all your good advice. I have a big favour to ask. I need you to check something for me if you have the time. I have 2 spare wheelchair tickets for the final. A person in Japan wants them but I want to be certain he’s not going to sell them for profit. I will send you pictures of the correspondence between us. If possible could you check  from his facebook account is the gentleman in Osaka is going to the final and if so how much he has been asked to pay for his tickets because I’m giving them for face value. I’ll send pictures desperately.

Brendank
      Participant

Screenshot_2019-10-29-15-39-59-855_com.facebook.orca

Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

Hello,

I’m not sure this is something we can verify or make a judgement on. It should be noted that he will need to be disabled to be in the disabled seats and if he resold them to non-disabled spectators they likely couldn’t get in…

If you are interested, I could put you in touch with a disability group that would help you find people here in Tokyo who are disabled.

Brendank
      Participant

Thank you so much for all your help. I had a fantastic trip that went without a hitch. Japan is an amazing country and everyone I met was so helpful and friendly. The trip of a lifetime. Thanks to everyone that made it possible.

Accessible Japan
      Keymaster

That is so great to hear!

Please share any accessibility information you found in the forum, or add reviews to the places listed on the website – it will help people make their travel plans :)

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply.