Nezu Shrine Accessibility

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Accessible Japan 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    nataliecc
    Participant

Hello all, I’m new here. Apologies if this has been asked before. Does anyone know whether Shrine wheelchair-friendly? Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

Haven’t been yet, but we can go in advance and check for you!  When do you plan on visiting?

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

In the meantime, here is some info in Japanese.  You can try Google Translate on it, but you can also get the idea from pictures:

http://welfare.so-good.jp/wheelchairtraveling/shrine/nezu/

nataliecc
    Participant

Hello! Thanks for the prompt reply! We are planning to go end of May. It looks doable from google street view. Maybe we can update here after our trip! Don’t want to trouble you. Thanks for the link as well!

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hi,

I put it in the calendar and will go on May 11th!

nataliecc
    Participant

Thanks for being so helpful! Truly appreciate. Our main goal is to see the tori gates.

I took a look at the link you sent and was just wondering for picture 8 【8】乙女稲荷、胞衣塚、駒込稲荷などがある丘陵は階段につき車椅子不可。

it seems like wheelchair could be pushed through up to the slope. What do you think?

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

As long as you can get to that spot, and someone helps you up the first step, I don’t see why not.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello

I went to Nezu Shrine today.  I’ll write a full report later, but some points:

Only about 20% of the azalea garden is accessible as there are flights of stairs.

20190427_072833957_iOS

You can get to the torii gates, but the step is a bit big.  Maybe 10cm.  You could likely get up it but the path in the middle is barely wheelchair width, so it may be hard when there are a lot of people.

20190427_070251951_iOS

Also, it is really one direction, so going back may mean asking a line of people to move on the way back since the end of the route is a bunch of steps on the other end.

20190427_071237689_iOS

The shrine itself is enclosed by a wall and both entrances have steps.

20190427_070734592_iOS

20190427_071049137_iOS

So, not very accessible!

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hi again,
    just wanted to let you know we put up our report:
    https://www.accessible-japan.com/places/japan/tokyo/bunkyo/attractions/nezu-jinja/
    Hope it is helpful!

You must be logged in to reply.