Naoshima Island

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Suzanne Kamata 6 months ago.

• Author
    kd88
    Participant

I’m considering doing a day trip to Naoshima from Takamatsu but am unsure on a few details for wheelchair access!

1. I’ve read that the ferry is no problem, but haven’t found any official confirmation of this. Is anyone familiar with this ferry?

2. I’ve also read that the bus on the island is not accessible, but that the road that loops around the island is walking/bicycling-friendly. Does anyone know if it’s possible to do the walking loop in a wheelchair or does it have steps?

Suzanne Kamata
    Participant

The ferry should be no problem, but you might have to stay below deck where the cars are. And it’s possible to go around by wheelchair (no steps, as I recall), but it’s a long ways. If you call in advance, they should be able to accommodate you on the bus. I actually wrote a little book about traveling to Naoshima (and other nearby islands) with my daughter who uses a wheelchair.  It’s called A Girls’ Guide to the Islands.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Suzanne Kamata
    Participant

Also, for the record, my account of visiting Ogijima with my wheelchair-using daughter is on this site. On that trip, we didn’t take a car.

1 user thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply.