Mobility wheelchairs and scooters can need repairs at the least opportune times.

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Accessible Japan 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Red
    Participant

I’m currently traveling around Japan and have had what sounds like a minor vehicle breakdown, a flat tire.  Not just any flat tire but on a tire designed to run when flat!   I need to find a shop that carries 9.5 inch tires or perhaps just replacement stems.   I’m discovering more barriers to getting a replacement than any single town could put on the street!  Surely there are repair-shops for at least wheel chairs, but where?   And since scooters are still the lesser known, do they even exist?  And where?

With all the contingencies we planned for needing to replace a tire did not cross our minds  because of the run flat feature of the tire.   And I never expected that a vendor would refuse to ship outside their country!   Suddenly a simple flat tire has become not so simple because I suddenly am without my mobility.

If anyone can can help me with a Tokyo contact address or company name?  Or even a rental company?

Thxs

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

For scooter repair in Tokyo, your only real option is Marudai:

http://www.marudai-fukushi.com/ , 03-3841-9706

Hope they can help!

Red
    Participant

Thanks so much Josh, the repair was great!  Since this was not a simple bicycle tire tube change that I did as a child, it was great to find someone that had both the size and equipment to remount the tire.   

Since we had access to someone who was fluent in Japanese I cannot comment on whether there would have been a language barrier, but I believe we could have survived with pantomime if needed!   From the website I believe someone spoke English.  I didn’t go to the shop as I was pretty much a liability without my mobility! 

We truly appreciated the recommendation.  I’d encourage anyone who has similar issues to seek help from them.   We were told the cost before we went and so had no surprises about the costs of labor and parts, other than these kinds of repairs are not cheap anywhere. 

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Great to hear, thank you for the update!

Capocha23
    Participant

please help i want contact you because I want to know where can I buy a motor wheel for my manual wheelchair! Now I am in Osaka but next week I will travel to Tokio! Is urgent, thanks

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

I don’t know what you mean by a motor wheel. can you please send an image?

Do you mean a tire? Or like this: 

06777C87-1431-4025-97CF-EE54ADF6F97E

In Osaka, please try Angelo Travel, he knows many wheelchair places in Osaka: https://www.angelo-services.com/travel-english

Capocha23
    Participant

Yes something like that or I see here, a motor on the wheel with a joystick!!! I try to contact him but was impossible, now I am googling to Tokyo so I ask you to help me urgent because on Saturday i will return to my country 

please contact my on WhatsApp +5492915720123 

best regards 

Lucas

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

Please fill out this form and we will try to find you something.

https://www.accessible-japan.com/renting-wheelchairs-hoists-japan/

The topic ‘Mobility wheelchairs and scooters can need repairs at the least opportune times.’ is closed to new replies.