Mobility scooter market research

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar virl7887 6 days, 13 hours ago.

• Author
    nighthawk
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m looking into the mobility scooter market within Japan and trying to gather some basic statistics. However this is proving difficult.

One key question I had was what the average age group of a mobility scooter user was within Japan?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

I don’t have any data on this, but scooters were (and still is) marketed at seniors over 65yo.

I have not seen anyone (that is Japanese) younger than that using a scooter.  Even the senior drivers are very small in number.

virl7887
    Participant

Let me share to you some of my thoughts on the subject. With the known aging population, definitely seniors would form part of the bulk, but across the range of ages would be people facing various degrees of physical disabilities and challenges. On this, I don’t have a number to pin.
    The difficulty I see from the above is the dearth of available “new” type of mobility scooters (commonly referred to as handle type electric wheelchairs) making them not yet popular, hence, not yet many users of this type.
    What I frequently notice in used are the sturdy type (even bulky) which do not conform to the requirements/rules set for accessibility (JR Lines for instance) which design were set based on the typical/conventional type of wheelchairs. 

Many new type and design of the mobility scooters conform to the restrictions in place. But mobility scooters, as a general rule, are not popular…therefore the needed information and exposure for these is not available. 

You must be logged in to reply.