Finding accommodation

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Accessible Japan 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author
    spoons
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m planning on doing a working holiday in Japan and right now I’m worried about looking at accommodation. I have a friend that went to a real estate agent to ask for barrier free flats for someone in a wheelchair and what they had on offer was just a normal flat without stairs or steps. They werent modified for accessibility. Looking at the bathroom and toilet, it looked difficult or impossible to use for someone using a wheelchair.

What are some tips on looking for accommodation?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

There is a lot more than there used to be (most realtor sites now have a “barrier free” section), but I think most places are intended for buying and renovating, not short-term.

I’d be happy to help, but I’d need to know the general city/area and what your needs are (ie can you transfer without support or a hoist etc.). 

If you have an employer set up, they often will have a person assist you in getting settled (including finding housing).

Another option is to get in touch with independent living centers (for people with disabilities) as they will know where their users live.

spoons
    Participant

Hi, I was looking in Gunma, Maebashi/Takasaki area. Yeh I’ve looked at barrier free places and they just showed places without steps but the bathroom and toilet were just the standard in Japanese homes.

I use a wheelchair and can transfer without a hoist but I will need a commode for showering and to use the toilet.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Yikes, that will be much harder!  Will you be bringing a caregiver with you?

spoons
    Participant

No I won’t be as I can do most things independently. I’m just mostly worried about the dimensions of flat.

spoons
    Participant

You mentioned independent living centres, I’m not sure what you mean by this. Is there such a centre in Gunma.

I have a close friend that is able to do some research for me before I make the move but like i said, they haven’t been able to find anything. We were hoping for other groups to contact besides real estate agents since they were not that knowledgeable about housing wheelchair users.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Independent living centers are organizations of people with disabilities and provide services like peer counseling and personal care attendants. So, they will likely know!

I’ll see if I can find one in Takasaki 

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

Here is a disability group working in Gunma that may be able to help:

https://kanuchouhi.wixsite.com/j-project

Their main staff are all wheelchair users so, they should know about accessible housing :)

You must be logged in to reply.