Charging my mobility scooter

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar virl7887 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    AnnieC

Hi, I am staying at an APA Hotel in Ikebukuro helping my daughter settle in for school. I rented a mobility scooter, which improved my stay so much. I have severe arthritis and the extensive walking is difficult. My hotel hesitates to let me charge the scooter in the hotel, and I don’t know what to do. I charged it for one hour last night, but I know it needs to be fully charged.

Any advice will be great!

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having problems

Did you rent the scooter in Tokyo, or did you bring it with you?

Are you charging it in your room? If so, they shouldn’t care about how long you charge. But if you are charging it in the hall or lobby they may be worried about security.

What did they say about not charging?

AnnieC

Thank you; I rented the scooter here in Tokyo from Marudai.

The  hotel staff does not want it in the first floor, I think because of aesthetics. The hotel is narrow so I have not tried to get it into my room.

I will call Marudai and ask them to intervene, thank you!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Also, while you are out, you may be able to charge at cafes or restaurants. (I’ve done that.)

If you rented from a Japanese company (Marudai?), I would suggest you contact the rental company and ask them to discuss the charging problem with the hotel.

Keep us in the loop!

AnnieC

I will also try to charge at restaurants and cafes too.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Oh no. Gotcha.

OK, I’d first try to get it into your room (no harm in trying!). If it doesn’t fit, try contacting Marudai. You may be able to remove the battery and charge them in your room (hard to say without knowing the model).

If that fails, they may be able to rent you a foldable Yamaha power wheelchair, or we can introduce you to a place that can.

We’re here to help!

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

How did it work out?

AnnieC

Hi! Mr Okura from Marudai tried to get the staff to help, but in the end I switched for a Yamaha foldable electric wheelchair. It’s good, a little less maneuverability but at least I can get around Tokyo, and I can charge it easily.

Thank you for your help!!

Annie

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

It’s too bad the hotel wouldn’t budge, but I’m glad you were able to get a solution.

Thank you for letting us know.

AnnieC

Thank you for helping! Your advice was great!!

virl7887
    Participant

Can i ask a related question? Mobility scooters are rare in Japan? I read some articles that mobility scooters are not popular in Japan, unlike the wheelchairs were transport, hotels, etc are very accessible for these devices.

I was just wondering why charging mobility scooters could be somewhat a problem, when it is plugging it with the right socket? are there laws or something?

Would the Japanese authorities relax their present laws to make mobility scooters more accessible and accepted, more so in the light of the forthcoming Japan 2020 olympics? I hope so.

Many thanks.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hello,

I think the issue was that the scooter was too wide to fit in the hotel room and the hotel wouldn’t let it be charged in the lobby.  Though, there are charging issues depending on the voltage of the country where the scooter/wheelchair was sold.

You are correct, mobility scooters are not very common here.  To keep the topics easy to follow though, maybe we can discuss this in a different thread?

virl7887
    Participant

Great! and thanks. A forum on mobility scooters, could drum up  a wealth of discussions on the use, pros and cons, issues concerning mobility scooters.

Surely, we all hope to to make mobility scooters a viable and widely accepted alternative to wheelchairs.

Kudos.

You must be logged in to reply.