Building Laws – Disability Standard

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar virl7887 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    vv1996
    Participant

Hi! I was wondering if Japan has any laws or guidelines regulating construction of buildings with disabled access? Where can I find these laws in English?

Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Hi there,

There are guidelines – here they are in Japanese: http://www.mlit.go.jp/sogoseisaku/barrierfree/sosei_barrierfree_mn_000001.html

This is the closest I could find in English: http://www.mlit.go.jp/english/2006/a_policy_bureau/01_udpolicy/index.html

But as you can tell from the link, the English version is from 2006, but the laws were updated more recently…

Hope it helps!

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Here is a vision explaining the law in simple terms.. but again, only in Japanese:

http://www.mlit.go.jp/barrierfree/transport-bf/explanation/kaisetu/kaisetu_.pdf

virl7887
    Participant

virl7887
    Participant

Just a comment, how i wished that architects, structural engineers and other professionals involved in the building/construction industries and allied services (as well as those in government) would have a major mind shift in their view of accessibility and barrier free structures in their design by having the default set to ramps and slides instead of stairs of a flight of steps for anything requiring rise or ascension.  This design or style is what is truly accommodating and embracing for all without the obvious labeling of being accessible or barrier free.  Come to think of it, a slide or ramp can easily be traversed by a “normal”walking person. The only difference, he/she is not aware of it because it is effortless to him/her, either way. But to a physically challenged individual, it makes a whole world of difference.  

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Very VERY true!

virl7887
    Participant

Small strides (not steps, pardon the pun intended) and vigilance to everything around is needed and even incumbent upon all of us.
    More power for sites like this as we need to stir awareness in all, physically challenged or not, that we are all a community, co-existing and living with one another, hoping to make it better for everyone.
    Thanks.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

You may also want to visit our sister-site, Accessible Travel Forum – http://www.accessibletravelforum.com

virl7887
    Participant

I already did and thanks again.

virl7887
    Participant

A change of mindset among architects, building planners, structural builders,etc. and government is to simply remove the default mode for any rise or elevation in the use of steps or stairs but rather with the flowing ramps and slides. Aesthetics and function can find a holistic fusion toward an inclusive, integrative barrier free environment catering and embracing all, without the need for even a “special” labeling such as accessibility or even barrier free.
    I have seen many pictures and designs all over the internet that exemplify such ideal fusion. Aren’t these a beauty.ramp7
    ramp11ramp5

You must be logged in to reply.