Accessible tea house/ tea ceremony?

Welcome to the Accessible Japan community forums!

If you have a question about accessible travel in Japan, just pop it in one of the forums below and we'll find you an answer! If you don't know where your question should go, or have a suggestion for a new forum, plase put it in the General Discussion forum.

Also, if you have information that is not yet on the website, we would love it if you could add it here in the forum - it could help so many people looking for the same information! Thanks!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Accessible Japan 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author
    Annatated
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a wheelchair accessible tea house/ tea ceremony in Kyoto?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

I think I know a place that can help and will ask them to comment here.

camelliateaceremony
    Participant

Hi there,

I am the guest relations manager for Camellia Ltd. in Kyoto. We have two teahouses in the city, one to the east and one to the west.

Unfortunately our east location (Camellia Flower) is not accessible to wheelchairs or for those with disabilities. Both our tearooms here are located upstairs, and the entranceway is a very tight fit.

Our Camellia Garden teahouse, located to the west of the city, is accessible. There is a small step up to the main gate, but after that we have a moveable wheelchair ramp into the house itself. The tearoom is located on the ground floor. 

As yet we have not had any guests in wheelchairs, but over the last few months we have been discussing how we can make our business more accessible. If you are interested in knowing more, then please get in touch. We will endeavour to be as flexible as possible, and can discuss your requirements and the cost of the tea ceremony in more detail.

[email protected]

https://www.tea-kyoto.com/experience/garden

Kindest regards,

Kieren. 

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Thank you for replying Kieren!

If possible, when you have time could you upload an image or two of the step at the main gate and the ramp to the tea house?  That would be very useful to future visitors.

camelliateaceremony
    Participant

Hi. 

Of course if you give me a little time I can take some photos of the wheelchair ramp. 

For now I have posted photos of the small steps from the road to the gate. There are 3 in total, and while they are not high, it really depends on the wheelchair user.

The fortunate thing about Camellia Garden teahouse is the size of the front entrance and house. There is quite a lot of space for maneuverability.

I will try to get back with photos as soon as I can. Until then, feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Many thanks.

20181018_15045020181018_150357

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Accessible Japan
    Keymaster

Thank you very much!  Perhaps you can buy one or two of these for the front steps:

ramp

You can get them at Amazon and just put them away when not being used :)

Thank you so much for your interest in accessibility!  

You must be logged in to reply.