• Creator
    Discussion

zeng
    Participant

Hi Josh!

I am Jiahui. Although I am still stuck in my hometown, since Japan is still closed for foreign students, I begin thinking about my future career.

These days, I bloused some websites of companies in Japan, and found that they are to some extent friendly to people with disabilities. So I am thinking maybe I can try to seek a job in Japan.

But here is a big problem. I know some wheelchair users can go out and work independently, as long as the facilities are accessible. But I can’t. If I am in the workplace, I need my caregiver to help me go to the washroom from time to time.

I know this is a special need, and whether it can be recognized depends on the circumstances. I am just wondering, do you hear some similar situations, are there some employees who go to their companies accompanied by their caregivers? Will it be too impossible to achieve this goal?

Thank you so much!

Jiahui

• Author
    Replies

josh

Hi Jiahui,

There are definitely places you can work in Japan! However, as you mentioned, there are challenges if you need a caregiver.

Caregivers are from funding from your local government and are for helping you in your daily life… but for some reason this does not include helping at the office! It is crazy…

Companies of a certain size are required to hire a number of people with disabilities (2%?) and get support from the government. In theory, the employer is required to meet your needs (including hiring a caregiver if needed). But, that is extra work/money. So, they often hire people with disabilities that do not need caregivers and meet the government requirements, without needing to do extra work. 😠

So, I will be honest, it is harder for people like you and me.

I work at a company that has services for the elderly and the caregiver staff can help me as well. Also, big international companies (Microsoft, Google etc) are more supportive as well.

Also, there are people trying to change the law so they can use their caregivers at work. For example members of the government with disabilities like this:

EDITORIAL: Disabled rookie lawmakers should usher in new political era | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

Funago and Kimura have been using mostly tax-financed home-visit nursing care services for severely disabled people. Under the current setup for such services by employed people, the cost must be borne by the users themselves or by their employers.

As a step to spare these lawmakers the financial burden, the Upper House has agreed to bear the costs of care they need within the Diet.

This is an understandable measure as an immediate response to the situation. But the rules in question have been criticized as an impediment to social participation by the disabled. The two new legislators have called for the rules to be changed to allow disabled employees to receive publicly financed care services. The Diet should take this opportunity to consider a radical review of the system.

Maybe things will have changed by the time you get here!

zeng

Hi Josh,

Thank you so much for your advice!

Yes, it’s true that companies may try to minimize the expenditure, which is understandable.

As you mentioned, international companies like Google have better support for PwD.

I will try to get more information about them : )

Jiahui

josh

Great! Keep us informed if you find any welcoming companies!

accessible-japan
    Administrator

Hello,

This is just to let you know that we have moved our community to TabiFolk. If you have any questions or information about visiting/living/studying in Japan, please ask in the Japan group!

https://www.tabifolk.com/groups/japan/forum/destinations/asia/japan-discussions/

Have a Question?

We have a lot of information here – but not everything!

If you have any specific questions or want to get in touch, come join the Japan Group on our sibling site TabiFolk!

Visit TabiFolk

Skip to content